Papas Arrugadas (Wrinkled Potatoes). The residents of the Canary Islands, called carnarios, call them papas—the Indigenous peoples' name for. Papas arrugadas ([ˈpapas aruˈɣaðas] lit. 'wrinkly potatoes') is a traditional boiled potato dish eaten in the Canary Islands. It is usually served with a chili pepper garlic sauce, called mojo rojo, or as an accompaniment to meat dishes.
Papas Arrugadas: Wrinkled PotatoesPapas arrugadas is a traditional boiled potato dish eaten in the Canary Islands. It is usually served with a chilli pepper. The wrinkly potatoes, or papas arrugadas as they are called by the canarians, are the archipelago's most famous dish. You can cook Papas Arrugadas (Wrinkled Potatoes) using 4 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Papas Arrugadas (Wrinkled Potatoes)
- It’s 500 grams of baby new potatoes, (Ideally the same size).
- It’s 4 tbsp of Rock salt.
- You need of water.
- You need dash of olive oil, extra virgin, (optional).
See our recipe for canarian potatoes. These rather dry little potatoes are served with almost every meal on the Canary Islands. They use a small potao with a light brown skin, but unless you have access to a specially market, use golf-ball size red or white new potatoes. Large grained sea salt is the secret.
Papas Arrugadas (Wrinkled Potatoes) step by step
- Put the potatoes and salt in a large pot or pan, add just enough water to cover the potatoes..
- Place over a high heat, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until soft..
- Use the lid of the pot or plate to drain most of the water from the potatoes, retaining about a wine glassful..
- Place the potatoes back on a low heat with just a small amount of water and reduce the water down gently stirring the potatoes so they don't burn. As the water evaporators a crust of salt should form on the bottom of the pot surrounding the potatoes..
- Using the bottom of a flat glass gently squash each potato just enough to crack the skin..
- Place the potatoes in an oven proof dish drizzle with a splash of olive oil and place them in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. (Gas mark 6).
- And serve..
Papas arrugadas (wrinkly potatoes) is the signature dish of the Canary Islands. This incredibly simple specialty is made with whole, unpeeled potatoes that are thoroughly cleaned and then cooked in salted water. This traditional recipe from the Canary Islands features baby potatoes boiled in salt water until their skin wrinkles, served with a fresh cilantro sauce. But the dish most closely associated with the Canary Islands is papas arrugadas which translates as "wrinkled potatoes". The potatoes should be baby potatoes or some other forms of small potatoes with a thin skin.