Jammin' Jamaican Oxtails. When you hear the word oxtail what comes to mind? Oxtail got its unique culinary name from the cut of the meat , yes it is the actual tail of the cattle. This Jamaican Oxtails Recipe is the perfect Caribbean stew for dinner.
Bring home a taste of Jamaica with this authentic Jamaican Oxtail Recipe. But that's not the only fabulous food that Jamaica is famous for. Jamaican Oxtails is one of the most popular Jamaican recipes. You can have Jammin' Jamaican Oxtails using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Jammin' Jamaican Oxtails
- You need of Beef Oxtail.
- Prepare of Butter Beans, drained.
- Prepare of Carrots, peeled and chopped.
- You need of Cooking oil.
- It’s of Oregano.
- Prepare of Parsley.
- You need of Allspice.
- You need of Paprika.
- It’s of Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper.
- It’s of Marinade.
- It’s of Bottle Oxtail Seasoning (OR Oxtail seasoning sub if you don't have ;see last ingredient) *If store bough seasoning is dry seasoning and not paste-like then you will need to add 2 tbls spoon of Browning liquid..
- You need of Seasoning salt.
- It’s of Sweet and sour soy sauce.
- Prepare of Cumin powder.
- It’s of Cloves of Garlic, chopped (to be placed in marinade container).
- You need of Sweet Peppers, sliced lengthwise (to be placed in marinade container).
- You need of Onion, peeled and chopped (to be placed alongside meat in marinade container).
- You need of Oxtail Seasoning = 2 tblsp browning, 1 tblsp vinegar, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, 1/2 chopped scallion, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 grated ginger, about 4 sprigs of thyme and Blend all together..
- Prepare of Meat Tenderizer (Optional).
It is delicious and easy to make. This dish has European origins, as it was introduced to the island by the British many centuries ago. The first thing you want to do is clean your oxtails. You start by trimming the excess fat from your chopped oxtails with a knife.
Jammin' Jamaican Oxtails step by step
- Pour marinade on top of meat and mix together using hands. Don't be afraid to get dirty. You want to make sure the meat is well coated..
- Marinate for a minimum of 2 hrs; overnight for best flavor..
- Using a Dutch pot, heat oil of choice (I like coconut oil). Add in a small piece of scotch bonnet/habanero pepper, a few pieces of sliced onion and one chopped clove of garlic and about one cup of HOT water. When water starts to boil, add oxtail (keeping marinade juices and sweet peppers etc. aside)..
- Let cook down (water goes down) while turning oxtail every few minutes. Then add more HOT water to cover oxtail..
- Add sweet peppers and marinade juices to pot. Continue to stir, scraping up the bottom of the pot and stirring to get all of the beefs juices..
- When water goes down again add paprika, allspice, oregano, and a teaspoon of parsley. Cover Oxtails again with HOT water..
- Continue to stir oxtail and turn heat on low. Add in a whole scotch bonnet pepper (remove before serving or omit altogether if going easy on spiciness). Cover pot..
- Continue to check pot every few minutes continuing to add enough water to cover whenever water becomes low. Let oxtail cook for about another 1 1/2 hrs, continuing to add water as necessary and adding seasoning salt to taste..
- Add carrots to pot and cook for another 20 mins. (Carrots should be soft when Oxtails are done, but not dissolved in the water).
- Add drained butter beans and cook for another 20 mins letting water simmer down enough for gravy..
- Oxtails are done when the meat is nice and tender. If meat isn't tender, keep heat on low and continue to cook until tender..
- Turn off stove. Serve with sweet plantains, rice and peas, salad or whatever your preference. Enjoy!.
Now, making Jamaican oxtails is not easy. As with cooking any Jamaican food, patience plays an So, the ongoing belief that oxtails are hard to cook in addition to borderline frustration preparation. The Jamaican oxtail recipe shared below is the authentic recipe. This deeply flavoured oxtail dish starts with the oxtail intensely marinated in variety. The Best Jamaican Oxtails Recipes on Yummly