Spam, garlic rice, and spicy cheddar loco moco. Try our SPAM® Loco Moco, a traditional breakfast from the Hawaiian Islands. Garnish with parsley, green onion and tomato. Spam is commonly eaten with rice (usually garlic fried rice) and a sunny-side up egg for breakfast.
This loco moco recipe adds another layer of umami to another already epic meal by adding roasted garlic to the gravy. When cooking Spam fried rice, Park suggests frying off the meat so the rendered fat begins to mix Back in Hilo, Hawaii, where loco moco was born, white rice is topped with a hamburger, gravy, and Simeon himself starts by boiling off the noodles, then frying them in garlic oil and finishing with fried. The Best Baked Spam Recipes on Yummly You can have Spam, garlic rice, and spicy cheddar loco moco using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spam, garlic rice, and spicy cheddar loco moco
- Prepare 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
- You need 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, grated.
- You need 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cayenne powder.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 can of Spam (I prefer reduced sodium), cut into 1/2 cm slices.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped.
- You need 3 cups of steamed rice (preferably day old).
- Prepare 4 of large eggs.
Pork Patty And Longanisa Loco Moco, Spam Hash & Egg, Baked Spam And Pineapple In Teriyaki Sauce. The best Loco Moco recipe you'll ever taste! A bed of rice topped with a juicy hamburger patty, fried egg and Loco Moco is a local Hawaiian comfort food dish consisting of steamed rice topped with a hamburger patty Slices of spam can be fried up and served in place of the hamburger patties as well. This is the Spam loco, but if you just order loco moco, it's usually hamburger.
Spam, garlic rice, and spicy cheddar loco moco instructions
- Start with the sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 3 to 4 minutes. You want it cooked, not browned. Next, pour in the milk. Whisk until it's the consistency of heavy cream. Whisk in the cheese, a little at a time, letting each addition melt completely. Add the spices, plus a bit of salt and black pepper. Give it a final whisk, then cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic touches the surface to prevent a skin from forming..
- Put a medium nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Lay in the Spam slices and let fry until they're crispy on both sides, about 5 or 6 minutes total. Remove the Spam to a plate..
- Add a splash of veg oil to the pan you used for the Spam, and throw in the garlic. Fry until they just start to turn brown, then add the rice. Toss to combine and break up any rice clumps. Let fry for about 5 minutes until the rice is hot and toasty. Season with a bit of salt and black pepper, then turn the heat down to minimum while you do the eggs..
- Add a knob of butter to a small nonstick skillet on medium-low heat. Once the butter's melted and bubbly, crack in the eggs and hit them with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Put on a lid and turn the heat off. Let the eggs cook to your desired level of runniness (I find 4 minutes to be about right)..
- To assemble, put a heap of garlic rice down on a plate. Top it with a few slices of Spam, then top that with a couple of fried eggs. Spoon the cheddar sauce liberally over everything. Devour immediately..
Originally, you cook the short grained sticky/sweet/sushi type (Calrose) rice by rinsing and then soaking it in water, then cook cook it according to package directions. This classic Hawaiian dish is similar to Japanese hambagu, a ground beef patty topped with a ketchup-based sauce, but loco moco is heartier, served atop a pile of white rice, smothered with caramelized onion gravy and topped with. SPAM with Tocino seasoning is the perfect marriage of savory spiced bacon and ham flavors. I often eat thinly sliced SPAM from the can like spiced ham and the Tocino flavoring works nicely with a gouda, cheddar, and my favorite Havarti. I used this flavor for super moco loco plates for the crew.