Papaya Champuru (Okinawan Stir-Fry Dish). Easy to make and delicious, Goya Champuru is Okinawa's most iconic dish. Even if you've never liked bitter melon, try this out. Okinawan dietary habits have received a lot of attention lately.
Okinawan cuisine, also known as Ryukyuan cuisine (a reference to the Stir-fried vegetables with fu (wheat gluten), a very healthy food rich in vegetable protein and often used in Asian food. Champuru means "to mix together", and. Recipe: Goya Chanpuru (Champuru): Okinawan Stir Fry With Bitter Gourd, Tofu, Pork and Egg. You can have Papaya Champuru (Okinawan Stir-Fry Dish) using 8 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Papaya Champuru (Okinawan Stir-Fry Dish)
- Prepare 1/2 of Papaya (small).
- You need 1/4 of Carrot.
- It’s 1 of Green peppers (small).
- You need 1/3 bunch of Chinese chives.
- It’s 50 grams of Spam.
- It’s 1 tsp of Bonito-based dashi stock granules.
- You need 1 tsp of Salt-reduced soy sauce.
- You need 20 grams of Lard.
This is really classical Okinawan home cooking, so there are probably as many variations as there are households in Okinawa. This is a very simple version. Champuru means "stir fry" in the Okinawan language and refers to a dish which was prepared by stir frying various ingredients. Although they share the name with soba noodle dishes found on the Japanese mainland, Okinawa Soba are a completely different dish.
Papaya Champuru (Okinawan Stir-Fry Dish) instructions
- Cut the papaya in half, remove the seeds and peel the skin..
- Cut the papaya into thin strips..
- Julienne the carrots..
- Julienne the green pepper..
- Cut the Chinese chives to the same length as the other vegetables..
- Cut the Spam into matchsticks..
- Melt the lard into a skillet or a wok, and stir-fry the green pepper and carrot over high heat..
- Once the green pepper and carrots slightly wilt, add the papaya and continue to cook..
- Once the ingredients are cooked through, add the Spam and stir-fry..
- Once the Spam is lightly browned, add the Chinese chives..
- Once the Chinese chives are tender, add the bonito-based dashi stock granules and soy sauce, cook them briefly until fragrant and it is done!.
- Transfer to a plate and enjoy!!.
Goya Champuru is an Okinawan dish. The dish is a literal translation of the name: Goya = bitter melon Champuru = means "something mixed," aka stir fry. More specifically, it's a bitter melon stir fry with pork, tofu, and eggs. You can replace the pork with other meats like chicken or Spam (a very. Okinawa's most iconic Goya Champuru is a stir fry dish with bitter melon, tofu, egg, and pork belly.