Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup). Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) is another popular dish in Indonesia. It is like chicken soup but the broth is yellow because of turmeric. It is served with glass noodles, fried or boiled potatoes, chicken, fried onions, emping (padi oats crackers), slices of hard boiled egg, blanched bean sprouts, parsley, and sometimes diced tomato. 'Soto' is a traditional Indonesian soup.
It has yellow color broth and is composed of chicken meat, mung bean vermicelli, hard boiled eggs, and topped with koya (a powder of mixed prawn crackers and fried garlic). Great recipe for Instant Indonesian "Soto Ayam" (Yellow Chicken Soup). #indonesianfood Soto ayam is an Indonesian chicken soup. It's one of classic authentic Indonesian soup. You can cook Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup)
- Prepare 500 ml of vegetable oil to fry the chicken.
- It’s 1 of whole chicken, divided into 4.
- You need 2 of lt water.
- Prepare 8 of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 4 stalks of lemongrass, take the white part only (which is on the bottom), pounded.
- You need 4 of green onions, chopped.
- Prepare 1,5 tsp of salt or to taste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of white pepper powder or to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of chicken bouillon.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare of Ground spices: (blend in a food processor).
- Prepare 7 cloves of garlic.
- You need 8 cloves of shallots.
- You need 3 pcs of candle nuts.
- It’s 1 tsp of nutmegs powder.
- Prepare 3 cm of turmeric.
- It’s 2 cm of ginger.
- It’s of Chili sauce: Boil 5 bird eye chili peppers + 2 red chili peppers + 5 cloves garlic until soft. Remove from the heat. Grind all the ingredients using a mortar and pestle. Add 1/4 tsp salt.
- It’s of Koya topping: Grind 5 cloves fried garlic + 8 fried prawn crackers using a mortal and pestle.
- It’s of For the complement:.
- Prepare 4 of hard boiled eggs, peeled, cut.
- Prepare 50 gr of mung bean vermicelli, soaked in boiled water for 3 minutes, removed from the heat, drained.
- It’s of some lime wedges.
We can eat it along with noodle or rice. I prefer using both with a little rice and a little noodle. Boil chopped chillies in a little bit of water till very soft, reserve the water (do not let the water to dry up, otherwise will get burnt). Add salt, sugar, chicken seasoning powder to taste.
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) step by step
- Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in the wok over medium-heat. Sauté the ground spices, kaffir lime leaves, and lemongrass until fragrant. Remove from the heat..
- Boil chicken and ground spices in a big pot until the chicken is cooked.Take out the chicken from the pot. Set the chicken aside..
- Add chopped green onions into the soup..
- In a pan, fry the chicken for a while in vegetable oil. Remove from the heat. Cut the chicken into small pieces..
- Place some white rice, some mung bean vermicelli, chicken meat, and some hard boiled eggs in a bowl. Pour the hot chicken broth into the bowl. Add some lime juice into the soup and koya topping on top. Yum! 😋.
Feel free to add boneless chicken for more meat later on. Soto ayam is a chicken soup dish originated from Indonesia and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore. However, you have to take a paradigm shift to appreciate it. Unlike a creamy soup, it's a clear soup with loads of ingredients and condiments. Soto ayam, an Indonesian version of chicken soup, is a clear herbal broth brightened by fresh turmeric and herbs, with skinny rice noodles buried in the bowl.