Brad's easy sausage mac n' cheese.
Ingredients of Brad's easy sausage mac n' cheese
- It’s 16 oz of box elbow macaroni.
- You need 16 oz of package of sausages or beef franks. I used cheddarwurst.
- You need 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 2 cups of shredded Monterey jack cheese.
- Prepare 4 cups of whole milk.
- You need 4 tbs of butter.
- Prepare 4 tbs of flour.
- Prepare of Smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- It’s of Parmesan bread crumbs.
Brad's easy sausage mac n' cheese step by step
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare pasta as directed for al dente. You still want the pasta to have bite when done. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well. Place pasta back on empty pot it was cooked in..
- Meanwhile, slice sausages into rounds, 1/2 " thick. Set aside..
- Place milk in a saucepot and heat on low heat. Do not let it simmer or scald..
- In a deep wall frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. As soon as it's melted, add flour and mix well. Stir constantly until flour mixture starts to brown and smell slightly nutty. This is your roux..
- Slowly add warm milk to the roux, a half cup at a time. Whisk constantly. Make sure it all completely incorporates before adding more milk. Continue until all milk is incorporated..
- Add half of each cheese into the sauce and stir constantly until melted in. Season to taste. I made mine fairly smoky with the paprika. If the cheese sauce has tickened too much, bring it back with a little more milk. You want it nice and creamy because the pasta will thicken it in the oven..
- Mix the cheese sauce and the sausage into the pasta. Mix well..
- Preheat oven to 375. Add mixture to 2 greased 8×8 baking dishes. Mix the remaining cheese together and top both casseroles. Top with parmesan bread crumbs. Bake 15-25 minutes. Until top is golden brown and casserole is heated through. When done, rest 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy..