Amma's Favorite Kara Keerai(Greens) Adai. Wash well and drain the water completely. Add chillies, asafetida, salt and grind it coarsely by adding very little water. Remove and add coconut bits and chopped keerai (Greens).
Garlic and chilly flavor in this stir fry is ultimate. We enjoy this stir fry with roti, or rice topped with. Keerai occupies an important place in our diet. You can have Amma's Favorite Kara Keerai(Greens) Adai using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Amma's Favorite Kara Keerai(Greens) Adai
- You need 1/2 cup of rice.
- You need 1/4 cup of tur dal.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Bengal gram.
- It’s 10 of dry chillies.
- You need 11/2 teaspoon of pepper corns.
- You need 1 of onion.
- It’s 2 of fistful of any greens (I used local dal green).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of shredded coconut.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of asafoetida.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of oil.
This poriyal is a very tasty and healthy side dish for rasam and sambar rice. Though I have used Arai Keerai for preparing this poriyal, you can use any greens available in your locality and prepare this following the same method. I love adai with murungai keerai, so flavorful, colorful n yummy adai. I am happy that i could get my fav murungai keerai often in Indian Groceries.
Amma's Favorite Kara Keerai(Greens) Adai instructions
- In a bowl add dried chillies,rice,tur dal..
- And Bengal gram to it. Add dry chillies and enough water to soak. Let it soak for 2 hours..
- After it's well soaked grind rice dal mixture in a grinder adding peppercorns to it..
- Grind the batter coarsely. Add asafoetida to it and mix well. Let it sit for few minutes..
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a wok on a medium heat. Add onions and saute till it's translucent. Then add greens to it and saute for a minute or two or until it wilt. Keep it aside till it cool..
- Add the cooled greens onion mixture to the Adai batter and mix till is well combined..
- Heat a tawa on a medium heat. Add 2 teaspoon of oil. With a Adai batter, make a round ball out of it and flatten the batter as shown. Wet your fingers in water and press the Adai batter with the tip of your fingers as shown..
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top and press well to the batter. Add a teaspoon of oil and let it cook well for two minutes..
- When it is cooked well flip to the other side and add a teaspoon of oil and let it cook for two or three minutes.. The Keerai Adai has to be well cooked and crisp..
- My Amma used to relish this Adai as it is.. it can be served with jaggery, tomato chutney or coconut chutney. Very Happy that I had followed all her steps to make her "All Time Favorite" Kara Keerai (Greens) Adai..
If u have raw n boiled rice you can use instead sona masoori n basmati rice ratios respectively. Addition of greens to the adai is completely optinal. Today I am going to share with you all glossary of keerai varieties/Greens in English and Tamil. I have arranged the glossary with photos of keerai/greens, will be updating when ever possible as well. Please give me more suggestions and other different varieties of keerai/greens.