Baklava. Baklava is a layered pastry dessert made of filo pastry, filled with chopped nuts, and sweetened with syrup or honey. It was one of the most popular sweet pastries of Ottoman cuisine. The pre-Ottoman origin of the dish is unknown, but, in modern times, it is a common dessert of Iranian.
The iconic Baklava is astonishingly straight forward to make! The iconic Baklava is my all time favourite pastry that I can't get enough of. You'll love how homemade Baklava is not overly sweet and. You can have Baklava using 10 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baklava
- You need 1 packages of Phyllo dough (comes with 2 rolls).
- Prepare 4 cup of Pecans or Walnuts (I use pecans).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cinnamon.
- It’s 1 1/2 stick of Butter (melted).
- It’s 2 cup of Honey (16oz).
- It’s 1/2 cup of Water.
- You need 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 3 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of American Honey whiskey (optional).
- It’s 1 stick of Butter (for sauce).
This heavenly Baklava combines honey-soaked layers of flaky phyllo pastry with spiced walnuts. It's a great make-ahead dessert perfect for the holidays or special occasions. Baklava is a delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. Its supposed origins are In baklava, layers of crisp phyllo dough alternate with a sugary spiced nut mixture, and the whole thing.
Baklava step by step
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Unroll the phyllo dough and place a moist kitchen towel over the sheets. Do NOT let the dough d.
- Generously butter your choice of baking pan. If the phyllo dough is a lot larger trim the dough with kitchen scissors. You will always be using 2 phyllo sheets at a time..
- Melt butter (1 1/2 sticks).
- Mix nuts and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pick up 2 phyllo sheets and place into the buttered baking dish.
- Using a basting brush, brush melted butter onto the phyllo sheets you placed in the baking dish.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 three more times.
- Sprinkle nuts on top of the buttered phyllo. (A single layer that covers the dough).
- Pick up 2 phyllo sheets and place on top the nuts, butter, add nuts.
- Repeat until you run out of nuts (approx 4 more times).
- Now begin layering and buttering just the phyllo dough like in steps 5 & 6. Repeat 4-5x.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into squares and then into a diamond pattern. Place in the oven for 30-40 min or when the baklava is a deep golden brown..
- In a saucepan melt 1 stick of butter, water, sugar, honey, vanilla, whiskey (optional). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove baklava from the oven and slowly pour 1/2 the sauce over the golden baklava. Once absorbed, pour the remaining sauce..
- Allow the baklava to cool uncovered for serval hours. It tastes better with time. Note: It can get soggy if covered..
Baklava is yummy.but it's yummiest when it's homemade. Learn how to make baklava right here using Ree Drummond's easy Baklava. This is the perfect Christmas dessert to gift to others. The remarkable baklava is a luscious dessert created with layers of thin phyllo dough intertwined with chopped nuts, all doused in a sweet, viscous syrup. Baklava is a rich, sweet Middle Eastern pastry made from layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey or syrup.